Tuesday 2 January 2018

New Zealand Cruise Day 7- at sea

Day 7 was a sea day. I love sea days. I love being on the ship and being treated as a special person.
After breakfast on sea days I would rush off to Progressive Trivia in the Colony Club. On the first sea day I joined a group with two couples and they were lovely. I got a lot of cruising tips from these long time cruisers, and we didn't do too badly in the trivia either. 
There were activities scheduled all through the day inside the ship, often at the same time, but not so many around the pool deck. There were enrichment talks, but most of the interesting ones were at 9am or 10am and we are on holidays - so 9am is too early, although on Solstice I would often get up and go to the 9am programmes and have breakfast later at 10am. Although good, e.g. today's talk was 'Shipping Tragedies in New Zealand' and I love history it was on at 10am and really, on holidays I preferred Windjammer breakfast. The only good meal in the Windjammer.
So after my Progressive Trivia I met Peter and Jonnie in the Schooner Bar for Napking Folding part 2. We missed part 1, Peter and Jonnie did, I sat and watched others.
I love trivia, and by the end of the cruise I even had Peter coming along. Other than the progressive trivia on sea days, most days would also have an Aussie quiz and a 5 o'clock quiz that I would try to go to. The 5 o'clock quiz we ended up forming a team with our dinner companions, which was great. The entertainment team were great and although some questions, or should I say answers, were disputed, there was always a final judgement and lots of laughter - EXCEPT: Who did Australia fight along side of in WW1? Most said New Zealand.... ANZACS etc, but the answer was Britain. Well let me tell you, we all said Aussie fought along side the New Zealanders, and the British and the Americans and the French and the Italians etc etc. I think we gave each other a point anyway for New Zealand, despite being told it was incorrect LOL.
This is Marky Mark - great fun and was good understanding Jonnies signing. He did some trivia, including the morning progressive trivia, napkin folding and karaoke. 
We wanted to see the movie Dunkirk in the cinema, but each time we went there was a queue and the theatre was already full. It was such a good movie it should have been in the cinema. There was some talk about the licensing costing too much for a venue the size of the Aurora Theatre, so maybe it should have been shown over a number of days - sea days and port days. The theatre is big and the cinema is tiny. One needs to be tall to sit in the back row of the cinema as when I sat there there was a bar across the back of the seats in front that went across the screen. Jon saw a couple of movies in the cinema but the one movie Peter and I wanted to see (Dunkirk), we didn't as the cinema was always full. We went to 4 different showing and each time there were people waiting outside. It was one movie that should have been shown in the Aurora Theatre as so many missed out. Some of the movies were old, like The Dish, and most were family type movies.
I went to the Summer Quiz in the Schooner Bar at 4pm by myself, and met up with Peter and the 'team' for the 5 o'clock quiz We did win one of the 5 o'clock quizzes and won a RC cap each. Great prize when they are often highlighters, keychains, pens etc.
Tonight was a formal night, so collared shirt and tie. Jonnie looks so good all dressed up.
After dinner we went to see Danny McMaster. We have seen him before on another cruise and he was so good we went again. Some of his material was the same, but there were some we din't know, or remember. Peter had a chat with him after the show. Nice guy.
A typical day on board for me is tea and vegemite muffins (or croissants) in the cabin, breakfast in the Windjammer with orange juice, Trivia, read or puzzles with either orange juice or hot chocolate, lunch usually around the adult pool with mojito or Caribbean Cooler, more trivia, sparkling mojito or chocolate martini cocktails, dinner with moscato, show with sparkling mojito, night caps chocolate martinis, bed – repeat! We love cruising.

No comments:

Post a Comment