Friday 29 July 2016

Quirkiest Jazz Festival in Queensland

Warwick is known as the Rose and Rodeo city, but I always associate Warwick as the home of Tiddilik and the Jumpers and Jazz Festival in July. It is situated on the Condamine River, part of the longest continuous river system in Australia. Tiddilik is the frog that swallowed all the water causing a drought.
Warwick has a rich and varied history dating back to 1840, which I will write more about another time.
The first Jumpers and Jazz in July Festival was held 2004. I'm not sure when I first heard about the festival, but I have wanted to go for many years, but as it was always the first or second week back to school I was always busy preparing lessons and making resources for the term. So now that I have retired, the first thing to do was to come to the festival. I believe it was originally a weekend event, but this year it is running for 10 days from 21-31 July. It is a festival of visual arts including unique tree art and covered poles.
We even saw displays on ground level.
Most were bold and beautiful, I took so many photos I must apologize for so many in this post. The theme this year was Bohemian and there were many workshops and buskers and bands in the streets and the cafes.
We didn't go to the info centre until the second day and there was an exhibition in the Warwick Art Gallery from the Alice Springs Beanie Festival, but sadly we were unable to take photos. 50 Years of Flower Power @ Art Gallery was on display outside the Gallery. We saw Dezzie D and the Stingrayz at the Downtown Lounge outside the Town Hall in the main street on the first day and again at the Art Gallery.
On the Sunday was the RACQ Grand Historic Auto display, including live jazz in the streets.
The Downtown Lounge had the Memphis Moovers, who were very good.
We spent a total of 6 days out of 7 visiting Warwick and the JJJ festival. We also spent time visiting surrounding areas, some of which I will post about later.
Found this hexie lady :)
This is a pantree.
 Even the statue of Thomas Joseph Byrnes was dressed for the occasion.
Such detail...
There was a 'Yarnbombed Your Pet' Parade.
Loved the covered van.
... and still on the caravan theme...
I took so many photos, it is hard to choose what to include here.
These two would have to be my favourite photos.
There were many streets with decorated trees.
Next year we will come come for the second half of the Festival to see the Jazz in the Park.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh my, are you going to start a crochet cover for your van too? What an amaaing exhibition.

    ReplyDelete