Tuesday 4 October 2022

Pacific Encounter - Food and Drink

We enjoy most of the food on P&O. However have never been a fan of the Pantry (buffet), preferring the Main Dining room for meals, and Pantry for a sweet snack or sandwich.

The 'new' Pantry is not a lot different from the old Pantry. It is open for breakfast from 6.30am - 10am, lunch 11.30am - 2pm, and dinner from 5.30pm - 9pm. Breakfast is not bad in the Pantry although we prefer the Waterfront. I was pleased to see pre-made sandwiches at the Kettle and Bun, which is now self serve, and the only self serve in the Pantry. There was only a choice of two or three different sandwiches and they were good. We did try the Hook's Fish and Chips one day and the fish was still mushy but the chips were good. One thing I have always liked with the Pantry was the fact that one is served. One thing I never liked at the Pantry was the long lines. It is better to get there early or late, and that's what we did if we wanted a snack. Breakfast is ok. Eggs, pancakes, hash browns all good.

Other stations in the Pantry are: Curry House, Mexicana, Stix - Asian stir frys and noodles, Fat Cow - meats and carvery, McGregors Garden - salads, Nic & Toni's - Italian, and the Sugar Bar - lovely cakes and desserts. The only food available after 9pm has to be purchased, so we take a couple of containers to put a slice of cake in to eat later in the evening.

We like the main dining room and usually book the late dining. Previously one had to book the two other included dining options one self and there was always a big rush the first day to make booking, now one either chooses early or late dining and the bookings alternate between the three main restaurants, The Waterfront, Angelos, and Dragon Lady. We were on a 3 night cruise so all three restaurants were on menu A.

The Waterfront main dining was where we headed the first day for lunch. Lunch was the same each day, as was breakfast. We were however able to eat something different each day if we wanted to. We were on a three day cruise to nowhere, so the Waterfront was open every lunchtime. Usually it is open for lunch on the first day and sea days only.

There were 6 starters, 4 entrees, 8 mains, and 3 desserts - although I asked for fruit one lunch and they happily provided a lovely plate, that closely resembled the breakfast fruit bowl.

All the food we had in the Waterfront was great. I prefer the Waterfront for breakfast as P&O make the best Eggs Benedict. I ask for one egg, but it usually comes with two. This was the smashed avo breakfast - I asked for one egg, added hash browns and hollandaise sauce on the side - best breakfast I've had for a while (then I had eggs benny the next day).
P&O make the best breakfast!
The Waterfront is open for breakfast 7.30am - 9.30am. Lunch 11.30am - 1.30pm. I think, except on departure day, the Waterfront may not be open on port days. Dinner 5pm - 9pm. We had dinner there on the third night, Menu A. 
Starters : Crab cake.
Mains
Desserts
 
...and the best dessert ...
Our first night dining was Angelo's. We love Angelo's, an Italian inspired restaurant.
There was lots of space between diners, maybe because passengers prefer early dining.
Enjoyed every course.
Second night was Dragon Lady, again not a lot of dinners.
We have tried the Dragon Lady before, not my favourite. I went to the Pantry at lunch time and picked up a couple of sandwiches - just in case, and I'm glad I did. Although Dragon Lady was better than previous visits, it was still not the best. Just my opinion.
 Maybe menu B will be better.
The Chinese Five Spice Pudding was surprisingly good.
 
The cocktails and drinks were good. Not full strength alcohol, but good never the less.  After using the 'medallion' on Princess Cruise I was concerned about handing over the cruise card when ordering drinks. However, P&O had a good system where if ordering from the bar you scanned your card itself and if ordering elsewhere, the staff asked your name and room number - no handling of cards. Great idea.
I love mojitos, and that is usually one the first drinks I have when boarding. This one in the Blue Room - our favourite venue.
I pre-purchased a refreshment package. It included mocktails, and although there were a lot of mocktails listed, most bars said there was only melon mocktails. I got use to that, and they were very sweet.
The package also included bottled water, tea and coffee. I love that P&O have T2T. This is Melbourne Breakfast tea. The only down is that P&O don't have sugar packets now, so each time I had a cup of tea I had to go to the cafe and a waiter had to bring a sugar dispenser and dispense the sugar into my tea! Weird. Next time I will bring my own container and fill it with ship sugar to use when I need it.
Although I had a refreshment package I did enjoy an alcoholic cocktail or three - and so does Peter. Here we are back in the Blue Room with a Toblerone and a Pina Colada.
Cocktails are a reasonable price, but not as full strength as they should be. It it is what it is.
There are many lovely venues to sit and enjoy the music, the ocean, the company and the drinks.
Our favourite was the Blue Room, although we often sat around the lobby area to enjoy the music.

1 comment:

  1. What great information. Thank you so much x

    ReplyDelete